Nigeria spent N958.3 billion
importing Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), also known as petrol, in five months. The
amount could build five 20,000-barrels-per-day mini refineries, industry
experts, who argued that one of such refineries would cost government between
$75 million and $250 million, said yesterday. In naira terms, higher
expenditure on petrol imports gives impression of worsening foreign exchange
position for the country and emphasizes the need to activate the country’s four
idle refineries, Francis Ogbimi, a Professor of Technology Management at the
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife said.
Monday, 21 November 2016
NNPC, SHELL, BANKS SIGN $2.2BN DEAL FOR CONTRACTORS
Shell,
supported by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, has signed Memoranda
of Understanding with eight local banks under the refreshed Shell Contractors’
Support Fund. The oil
major, in a statement on Sunday, described the development as the latest
milestone in efforts to improve access to finance for Nigerian vendors and
suppliers in the oil and gas industry. It said under the MoUs signed in Lagos,
Access Bank, Skye Bank, Zenith Bank, Stanbic IBTC Bank, First Bank, Standard
Chartered Bank, First City Monument Bank and Guaranty Trust Bank had set aside
$2.2bn for contract execution by Nigerian firms.
NNPC MAY ADJUST PETROL PUMP PRICE ON FALLING CARGO RATES
The
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) may undertake a downward review
of the pump price of petrol in its retail outlets across the country. It was
gathered yesterday that this was possible from a reported consistent drop in
the historical price of petroleum cargoes from about $600 per metric tonne to
an average of $440 per metric tonne. NNPC had
recently adjusted the pump price of petrol at its outlets, thus raising fears
of a possible hike. The development also followed claims in August by its
former Group Managing Directors that the government’s pricing modulation
framework was not economical for the downstream petroleum business.
Tuesday, 15 November 2016
FG YET TO TAKE DECISION ON NNPC’S PUBLIC LISTING
The
Federal Government has not taken a precise decision on the proposed listing of
the stocks of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) on the
Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) or any other stock exchange. According to
authoritative sources within the ministry of petroleum resources, the proposal
to list the stocks of NNPC on the exchange after its restructuring as contained
in a new draft national oil policy has not yet been approved by the government.
Monday, 14 November 2016
WE’LL RESIST SALE OF NNPC STAKE – OIL WORKERS
Oil
workers on Sunday declared that they would resist any attempt by the Federal
Government to sell some of its stake in the Nigerian National Petroleum
Corporation. The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources released a draft
policy document on the reform of the oil sector late on Thursday in which it
proposed the sale of some of its stake in the national oil firm. Reuters
reported on Friday that the country had been mulling the sale of oil assets to
raise foreign exchange as a slump in vital oil revenues was eroding the budget.
INVESTMENTS IN NIGERIA’S OIL SECTOR DECLINE TO N78B
Capital importation into Nigeria’s oil and gas sector has declined from the $200 million (N90 billion) from the second quarter of 2016 to $172 million (N78 billion) in 3rd quarter, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). But this decline has been attributed to uncertainty in the country’s oil and gas sector occasioned by insecurity, delay in the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) and delay in meeting contractual obligations in the services industry.
Readmore @ The Guardian Online
NNPC WILL CEASE TO EXIST IN TWO YEARS
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) will cease to exist in about two years time, as a result of sweeping reforms contained in the draft National Oil Policy which has been presented to stakeholders for their input. This is however subject to the approval of the National Assembly.
Read more @ Businessday Online
Friday, 11 November 2016
NIGERIA’S OIL SECTOR NEEDS N7B YEARLY INVESTMENT
The Nigerian oil and gas sector
requires about $7 billion capital investment yearly, to fund exploration and
development to achieve the nation’s crude production targets, according to
Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC). Besides, Organisation of the
Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), also put the expected oil upstream
investment requirements from 2016 to 2040 at $7.4 trillion).
TOTAL, PETROBRAS PARTNER ON AKPO FIELD, OTHERS
Total
and Petrobras have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) towards a
strategic alliance covering upstream and downstream activities in Nigeria and
other countries including Brazil. According to the terms of the agreement both
companies both companies will collaborate in some key areas of mutual interest
and evaluate opportunities in Brazil, as well as abroad to jointly benefit from
their respective experience in all segments of the oil and gas value chain.
Wednesday, 9 November 2016
RECESSION: WE’RE PAYING FOR PAST MISTAKES, SAYS BUHARI
President
Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday blamed the harsh economic situation currently faced
by Nigerians on the mistakes the country made in the past. Buhari noted that
though the country was blessed with numerous resources, it allowed herself to
be confined to a mono economy by paying too much attention on petroleum to the
detriment of viable cash crops like cocoa, groundnut, palm oil, palm kernel and
hides and skin.
BARGE, EQUIPMENT SINK IN FAILED ATTACK ON NPDC PIPELINE IN DELTA
Hell
bent on crippling the source of the oil revenue of the country, suspected
militants again, in the early hours of yesterday, attempted to bomb the Trans
Forcados 48” Export Trunk line in Batan community in Warri South West Local
Government Area of Delta State. Though the attack on the trunk line, operated
by the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC), was foiled by soldiers,
the militants succeeded in sinking a barge with equipment used for repair work
on the line.
GAS PRODUCERS KICK AGAINST JV CASH CALL OBLIGATION
Stakeholders in the Nigeria gas
sector have emphasised the need for the Federal Government to desist from Joint
Venture (JV) funding, which gulped over $3.09 billion in the last one year. For
example, Nigeria’s total export crude oil and gas receipt for the period of
September 2015 to August, 2016 stood at $3.21 billion, out of which the $3.09
billion was transferred to JV Cash Call in line with 2015/2016 Approved Budget
and the balance of $0.073 billion was paid to Federation Account.
Already, current cash call
indebtedness of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), JVs, has
risen to well over $6 billion.
NIGERIA’S PIPELINE BREAKS DROP TO 221 POINTS IN AUGUST
The Federal Government’s efforts in
tackling the issue of pipelines vandalism have shown remarkable progress, as
disruption of oil flow dropped to 221 in August, down from 311 points in July,
according to the latest data from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
(NNPC). It disclosed that in August 2016, there was 28.94 per cent drop in the
number of pipeline vandalised points relative to July, 2016. The Corporation
stated in its August Monthly Financial Report (MFR), released, that the spate
of pipeline vandalism in the country has shown remarkable improvement,
following Federal Government and NNPC’s sustained engagements with the Niger
Delta militants.
FG REACHES SETTLEMENT WITH IOCS ON $5BN CASH CALL ARREARS
The
federal government has reached an outline settlement to resolve a protracted
dispute with five international oil companies (IOCs), under which the oil firms
will be paid $5 billion as arrears of cash calls to cover exploration and
production costs. Financial Times reported that Shell, ExxonMobil, Eni, Chevron
and Total have signed deals relating to this settlement of costs incurred
between 2010 and 2015, as they also seek to forge new financing arrangements
for their joint ventures (JVs) in Nigeria.
Labels:
Chevron,
ExxonMobil,
Ibe Kachickwu,
NNPC,
Shell,
Total
Friday, 4 November 2016
NEW GAS POLICY CREATES $51BN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN SECTOR
Nigeria’s
latest gas policy encapsulated in Ibe Kachikwu’s 7Big Wins has created $51
billion worth of investment opportunities in gas processing, transmission and
general infrastructure in midstream and downstream operations of the sector.
Nigeria’s epileptic power supply has created opportunities to build more power
plants, as the current 22 have not assuaged energy needs.
Labels:
Downstream,
ExxonMobil,
Gas,
NNPC,
Power,
Total
SENATE TO INTRODUCE OIL COMMUNITY DEVT BILL
The Senate President, Dr. Bukola
Saraki, has stated that the Senate will introduce a host community legislation
to complement the Governance and Institutional Framework Bill of the revised
Petroleum Industry Bill. The PIB passed second reading at the Senate on
Wednesday. The Senate President said the legislation would address issues
relating to community participation, security and the ecological debt incurred
by host communities from oil extraction.
Wednesday, 2 November 2016
REPS WARN AGAINST CONTINUOUS GAS FLARING IN NIGER DELTA
The House of
Representatives, yesterday, warned oil companies operating in the Niger Delta
region against continuous flaring of gas estimated at over $5 billion yearly
from over 257 flow stations, saying it had subjected the lives of residents in
the area to serious health hazards.
NLNG BURDENED BY DOUBLE TAX, PIPELINE SECURITY ISSUES
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Nigeria LNG
Limited, Tony Attah, has listed the challenges confronting the company to
include operations of multiple regulatory agencies, pipeline security issues,
and double taxation. Speaking during an oversight visit by the Senate Committee
on Gas to the NLNG facility in Bonny, Atah disclosed that there were 19
recorded pipeline disruptions this year alone.
OPEC'S OIL OUTPUT HITS NEW RECORD ON NIGERIA, LIBYA
Partial recovery in oil
production capacity in Nigeria and Libya is likely to set another record high in
October in OPEC’s oil output. The rise in output could add to scepticism about
OPEC’s ability to finalise a plan agreed in September to limit supplies, a
survey by Reuters said.
NIGER DELTA LEADERS MEET BUHARI, DEMAND OIL BLOCS
President Muhammadu
Buhari and some prominent leaders and stakeholders in the Niger Delta yesterday
began to find lasting solutions to the crises in the oil-rich region. As part
of the move, President Buhari hosted the leaders at the Presidential Villa
where they demanded that they will be considered in the allocation and ownership of oil
wells. The Niger Delta leaders specifically outlined a 16-point agenda which
they presented to Buhari towards halting militancy in their area.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)